Friday, June 1, 2007

Rumor mill on bees and corn

We have all heard some of the latest stories that GM (genetically modified) crops are killing the bees. Organic bee keepers say this is not the case for them as much and they cannto keep hives near GM foods because the crops do not sufficently feed those bees, look here for more on this
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_5094.cfm

Also rumor has it that this years grain crop is being counted on for more than ever before.
I know for myself, the corn prices have elevated to such a level that I can no longer afford to feed my livestock a base made of grain
http://mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1257/
My latest changes have included going to a base of beet pulp (a natural by product of creating sugar from sugar beets) and alfalfa cubes, with only about 2% of the daily feed consumed coming from grains. I have not seen signifigant weight variations, or health conditions arise from these changes, but I also offer good quality grass hay , a mineral salt suppliment,
and sometimes, rice bran , also a fat source by produuct from rice.

My protien sources though are now cotton seed meal and soy bean meal .
horse feed and whole corn has steadily increased in price but beet pulp and believe it or not alfalfa have not.
still feeding organic but now, feeding from a more available and steady supply.
a great place for more information regarding buying local food can be found here !
http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/buylocal/
annd please, help this blog grow by sending us your ideas .
now im off to photograph for the blog from my garden !

No comments: