Friday, June 1, 2007

Gardening


I read an article in I think it was mother earth news , about lasagne gardening,

about lasagne gardening , and here it is June first , and Im posting my results so far. I am in Southeastern part of NC and our growing season is usually long, however, this is better results than I have ever had
Top photo shows spinich , though that is beginning to bolt,
and behind that is lettuce and broccoli.
to the rt of that row is my blue lake bush beans , cabbage, dent corn, beets and carrots
Below you see more of the area , with potatoes, cabbage, silver queen corn more beans and okra as well as tomatoes and cukes.
I have added zero fertilizer except compost and bunny manure. I have added several types of heirloom seeds, from some great companies, and am getting wonderful results im excited to see thhe amish paste tomatoes. my personal faviorite thing I do with herbs is store them in brown paper lunch sacks. whenI pick them I put them into the bag and let them sit. They dry that way and no need to put them on any dehydrator.
I can later use that same paper bag for the next spring and if for some reason they rip or I need to discard them I can then put them into the row portion of my garden as a weed blocker.
I also use belly wool and scrap felted wwool from the sheep into the rows. It helps to keep down some of the weeds. now Im off to put some old hay into the rows because some of the weeds are beginning to take advantage .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a book called Lasagna Gardening, about preparing a planting site by layering newspaper, cardboard, and compostable materials on the ground with no digging. Is this what the article you mention is about?

shepherdessNC said...

YES thats exactly what it is about. it was saying "no till methods" were better for the beneficial nematodes and bacteria in the soils layers. that tilling actually disrupted this balance. but I personally layered old hay, then manure and old sheep bedding , and then on top of that, composted manure and clippings etc.When I defined my "valleys" within my rows I just tossed the extra dirt up on top of the mound.
I made it wide enough to weed or harvest from one side or the other, so, twice as wide as my reach lol. Then I used an old peice of rubber roofing we found discarded, and covered my rows (it would cover 3 at a time) for a minimum of a week. some were covered for as long as 4 weeks . to help kill off weeds trying to germinate. When i removed the rubber roofing I planted and moved the roofing down to the next 3 rows.

Anonymous said...

I wonder about using hay as a mulch. We only did this once because of all the seeds in it. Straw works a bit better. I have used empty peanut shells around my strawberries to keep the mud off them but I don't have many. I garden with my hands in the dirt a lot so I don't want to use wood chips which are sharp. I bet empty sunflower hulls would be wonderful if you lived near a procesor. Off to dig in the dirt this beautiful day.