Monday, June 4, 2007

answering recent questions.


As far as the question posed about sunflower plantations being as impactful as Palm oil plantations, I believe that sunflower plants do not require the specialized environment and growing zones that the plam oil plantations require. In order to grow palm oil , large rain forests must be destroyed. Sunflowers can be grown in prairie, or grass land zones, and do not require deforestation to grow.


As far as hay in between my rows in my garden , I do not have the seed issues with grass hay (coastal Bermuda) but DO grow tons of grass if I put down straw our straw here is full of wheat seed . I have also heard pine chips actually leech nutrients from the soil , but in all honesty I haven't ever looked that one up.


You COULD go to a local feed distributor and put up a sign for unwanted wool . some farms raise sheep purely for food and shear because its humane not because they use the fiber. That wool is great in the rows of a garden as a weed blocker.



and lastly I have seen many many methods for lasagna gardening. I improvised using what I had in ample supply around here keeping the "no till" Principal in mind and so far I love my results.


I did once raise chickens , never ducks and used to hatch out about 250 each spring.I have since decided sheep are easier and more of what I am into :)

I'm posting a photo in this one of my cashgora doe ling just because she is so cute.






No comments: