Wednesday, August 29, 2007

winterize the garden ..

For my climate it is time to put in fall veggies... barely time that is... I am separating off branches of my sweet potato plants, and sprigging them in the dirt hoping to create more sweet potatos before winter... First frost here is usually in november... So I still have time to get potatoes in the ground, and start some more spinich ... possibly broccoli and cabbage ... they like it cooler ...
Im covering areas of the garden with my black tarp to kill off the weeds and compost them into my soil.. trhen I will pull and rake the remaining vegitation out of the area ready for planting... then I may even amend the soil with some compost.. We will see.
for the better part of the production year my garden reamined fairly weed free but 3 weeks of no attention has seen nature take back over .. and leaves me with a lot more work !
I know I can get my gardens production to be great and cover several seasons but it is a learning process for me as I discover which plants can tollerate being planted late and which cannot..
I will of course let you know !

No comments: