Friday, August 17, 2007

the economy and being green

The fed drops interest rates, and consumer confidence wanes? sound familiar? the housing market slumps , and people are invested deeply in the stock market. milk has increased by over 21% eggs 33% solution? Well mine is ... get a couple hens and start milking my goat. Only trouble with that is, in the US many states now make it illegal to milk and consume your own dairy. did you know that ? the corporations that control US dairy have pushed to make it illegal for you to drink share or sell your own milk or goats milk.

there are facts in the world, Food is a marketable comodity. people need food shelter and clothing. so I can spin yarn and grow food 2 down . most food travels a minimum of 3000 miles to reach your table . it stands to reason then to buy local helps the environment.
when you buy local produce, and from local farmers for your meat and dairy , you encourage those around you who farm, to increase their production.

I helped feed 5 added families produce from my garden this year. I will next year try to offer some for sale at my local farmers market , only I will try to grow unique and gourmet items.
but because of the prices of food increasing I will put up more food. I will can and freeze as much as I can store. it is local and as long as my freezer is efficent and an energy saver, it should be better than having my food shipped in from China .. or the honduras. So besides veggies, I will be putting up lamb and chicken, and I guess in the spring when my goats "freshen" I will learn how to cleanly milk them and begin using that too.

No comments: