Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Why would I choose to ..

Farm. I consider it a partial sustainable agriculture. I cannot grow ALL that we eat but I raise quite a healthy portion of it. I do it organically. I do it on 6 acres. Many paople look at me funny and befuddled, repeatedly asking me "why would you want to do this"? " dont you have to work from sun up to sun down?" I always say yes, but that sun up to sun down does not include my 3am trips to check on lambing ewes.

I care about the future of the planet , but I could do that in many other ways. And I am almost 40, the impacts wont really directly affect me. My sons and daughter yes, But at their curent ages there is no reprieve from the disgust at my way of doing things.

But I think even without them here I would grow my own food, and try to be as independant as I can be. I like knowing how much food I have squirreled away. I like a low grocery bill.I like learning new plants and new vegetables here . and how to grow them.
I like my spinning wheel , and my no-cell phone life.

remember , Live earth is on 07-07 and here is a link for convienence :)
http://liveearth.msn.com/

No comments: